Hey everyone, I promised you guys some tips and tricks to beat writers block. Well, here they are!
In my opinion, there are three courses of action, depending on what you need to beat your writer’s block. Check them out below.
(May have to test out a couple of these for myself.)
Push to Writing – the need to shake up you writing habits.
- Write in a different place.
- Freewrite ; whatever comes to mind, wherever the words take you.
- Set Deadlines and Stick to them!
- Writing Exercises and Prompts
- 5 minute speed writing sprint, just a short timed burst of writing fast.
- Use a different writing tool ; Switch from a keyboard to paper to a post it note.
Recharge – The need to step back and take a break from writing.
- Take a short trip, or just a change of scenery
- Go for a walk. Alone, with music, or with a dog.
- Read a book.
- Drink some coffee.
- Don’t think about the story.
- Sleep it off; the best ideas come right before bed.
- Eat. Eat the stuff that makes you happy
Getting motivated and/or inspired! – the need to get pumped to write again, or find inspiration.
- Browse Photos; especially images that relate to your story’s genre.
- Talk it out. Talking to another person about your ideas can get those creative juices flowing.
- Read some quotes. Maybe by some famous authors.
- Write with Heart. Think about the story you are telling and what emotions you want to evoke.
- Be okay with writing trash. Write without perfection.
For me, talking it out and going for walk helps sometimes. I’m still working on being okay with garbage writing, because I’m a perfectionist. How do you guys get over writer’s block? Everyone’s different. So, let me know in the comments.
Write with Heart,